Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Theatre stuff

Damn this blogging software. I have to write this post over again after it just decided it didn't like what I was writing and deleted it. GRRRRRRRRR
I went to the My Fair Lady rehearsal last night to see what everyone was up to. I got to see a lot of my old friends from theatre. And when I say old I mean it, most of the people I knew who were my age and doing this stuff weren't around. Well Amy was there, more on her in a bit. I got to talk to Jeff again. He's still the theatre director over in Pulaski County which is cool. He and I used to always get along great even when I was just on the tech crew. He's a really funy guy. He at one point wanted me to judge one of his one-act competitions which would have been fun; but it never panned out. He's playing Alfred Doolittle which I can't wait to see he should be great. Ed was there doing the producer thing. I'm glad he's not still hassling me about the website. This year again he's doing the program as a newspaper. He got addicted to that back during Annie Get Your Gun. I got to see Lauren, Steve, Jeff, Dan, Larry, Amelia(phantom of the summer musical), Malerie, and Robin. I sat in for part of the rehearsal and they were......blocking the second act!!!! They open in under two weeks!!! They move into the performance space on Sunday. I mean I know this time in the show is when everything is going really crazy and everyone is stressing but still. The were just now choreographing "Get Me To The Church On Time". And the choreographer wasnt' even there, the director was making it up as he went along. Iit could be that the scenes with just Eliza and the Doc are really good and they are just now doing the chorus parts. I hope it works out ok. When it doesn't get managed properly they loose money. Annie Get Your Gun is a good example. It had great music/book, great choreography, great talent etc. But because it was badly directed and managed they lost their shirts. Ask me about that show sometime and I'll tell you. Ed tried to get me to work on the tech crew again and it was really tempting. But that would have meant working under Amy. She is either the stage manager or ASM or she might even be AD. Now don't get me wrong, I like Amy, she's a very sweet girl. But she drives me crazy when she's working on a show. Theatre in general is one part technical and one part social. This applies no matter how technical your roll is. You have to work with people no matter what your job is. Furthermore if you are in charge of people you have to motivate them without micromanaging them. This idea is completely lost on her, she needs to micromanage and feel in charge. And in doing so stresses herself and everyone around her beyond what the situation calls for. She has said that she wants to concentrate her career on directing and the technical side of theatre. Now normally this speaks of motivation and a desire to create. Instead all I get from her is a desire to be in charge of other people. I understand where this comes from too. I knew a bunch of her friends from the highschool. And she aparently would get pretty bitter when she was passed over for a part. But that doesn't completely explain it, she has gotten lots of roles. She was Anne Frank in a show that I worked on(it was a blast btw, the people on the tech crew had more fun than the actors). And she was also Anne Frank for the professional theatre in Wythville. But she isn't the triple threat that some of her friends were. She can't sing, not for lack of trying, she just wasn't blessed with a good voice. And she doesn't have the coordination for dancing a lot. So it makes sense that she would want to be in a position where she can boss them around. She is going to NYU this fall along with Caitlin. I should email Caitlin, I haven't talked to her in a long time. Caitlin is a highschooler who I really got along with well when I first started in theatre. She taught me a ton about theatre in general and she was always working so hard. And she used to hate it when something good would happen to Amy because Amy would rub her face in it fishing for compliments all the time. Hopefully they have settled their differences and will have a good time in college. Anyway it turns out that I couldn't have worked on the show anyway because my sisters wedding is on the 21st. Which is in the middle of the second week of the run. Ugh wedding! BLAH!
That's all for now, more later probably.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home