Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Well the first day on the job was a great one. I mostly did paperwork and installed things on my computer. But the environment here is just soooo friendly it's amazing. Ken is my boss and he's great. He is probably pretty anal retentive, but I know that he wants me to succeed. I filled out paperwork most of the morning and then Ken remembered that he hadn't sent me for a drug test. Which he was supposed to do before I could do any work. So I drove over to the clinic to get tested. The directions he gave me were just wrong, it wasn't his fault mind you. Mapquest somehow confused a doctor's office with the World Bank. Anyway after doing the drug test thing I came back to my desk and ate lunch while I set up my computer. It's really weird the way they have the computers set up here. They actually have Micrsoft running very well on all their systems. Something that I haven't witnessed before. I hope that the non MS products I install won't mess anything up. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get things installed on my computer. And it should have been a lot simpler but Micrsofts products all try to be really helpful and that's not so productive sometimes. Ken gave me a project and then left town for one of our remote offices. The project is a simple one in some aspects and a complicated one in other ways. Before the guy that I replaced left he was working on a website and it was almost finished. My project is to figure out what needs to be done with the website to deploy it. And in the process gain as much knowledge as I can about the network infrastructure. I've only been working on it for a couple of hours and the biggest problem I'm having is figuring out his development process. .Net development is so different from what I'm used to. It's going to be hard to figure it out at the same time as trying to figure out how my predecessor was working. But I didn't come here to sit around. I found out that I won't get paid until the 28th. They do a crazy pay schedule here so I have three weeks before I get my first check. But I do still have a paycheck coming from Tech. It's only one weeks pay because of the holidays. I should be ok though.

It's strange living with Ox. I don't think it's really sunk in yet that I'm not going home. Although I will be going home this weekend, so it probably won't sink in for a good while. I need to find some better food, I don't think I'll survive long on sandwiches and soup. I'll have to get some cheap TV dinners for supper. When I start getting paid I'll get food and cook in the evenings. Today is fighter practice so that should be fun. I don't know if the hottub is working but it would be nice to soak in there after fencing. I have to print out directions also.

Well that's all for now, I have to go bury myself in .Net stuff. Oh the Joy.

Things not to do at your new job: pants the division supervisor in an attempt to show you are "one of the guys".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home